TYPES OF GRANTS
Arch Community Fund makes grants to support transformative organizing for systemic change. The Fund seeks to support grassroots strategies that meet immediate needs and are part of a strategy for long-term structural change.
Our grantmaking focuses on general operating support for small grassroots nonprofit organizations, including fiscally sponsored projects. In 2018, grants are expected to range from $10,000 - $25,000.
In 2018, Arch issued 8 launch grants focused on resistance work. For more information about those grants, click here. While our Launch Grants targeted groups doing resistance work in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest, our current funding cycle is open to groups anywhere in the United States.
Arch is currently accepting applications for funding. Eligibility and Funding Criteria, Application Instructions, and the Application Cycle Timeline are set forth below. Please note that applications are due no later than midnight, November 30, 2018. (The original deadline of November 1 was extended to November 30, 2018.)
ELIGIBILITY & FUNDING CRITERIA
To be eligible for funding, groups must meet all of the following criteria:
- 501c3 status or be fiscally sponsored by a 501c3 organization
- Annual budget of $1,000,000 or less
- Headquartered in the United States
- Transformative organizing for systemic change is primary program, activity, or mission of the organization
We prioritize the following criteria in funding decisions:
- Further the mission of Arch to strengthen grassroots movements to resist oppression and build towards a more equitable future
- Fit with the Core Principles of Arch: Resistance, Systemic Change, Community Leadership, Racial Equity
- Lack of substantial access to mainstream funding sources
- Strong partnerships with allied organizations
HOW TO APPLY
Arch Community Fund is now accepting applications via the JustFund Portal, a new digital platform established by Solidaire Network and other funders to help connect social justice funders, foundations, and funds directly with grassroots organizations and urgent projects.
- Go to justfund.us and click Register as an Organization to create an account on the site. You will receive an email confirming your registration within 24 hours with a username and temporary password, which you can change upon logging in under “Settings.”
- Once you’ve received your login information, sign in at justfund.us.
- Click Create a New Proposal Draft to begin your application. You may save your proposal and continue to edit it at your leisure.
- Once you are ready to submit your proposal, click Submit. Make sure to select Arch Community Fund so that we know to review your proposal.
If you have an existing proposal on the JustFund portal that you would like to submit to the Arch Community Fund, simply log in at justfund.us, make any edits you would like, and click Submit. Make sure to select Arch Community Fund so that we know to review your proposal.
Once submitted, you will see that your proposal is Live. This means that your proposal has been submitted to Arch Community Fund and that it is also visible to other funders who are using the JustFund portal. It is possible you may receive funding from other sources before we determine our grantees each funding cycle. In addition, if you receive an Arch Community Fund grant, our endorsement may be leveraged to help you secure additional funding.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND TIMELINE
Initial applications are due by midnight, November 30. We will invite a smaller number of applicants to answer several additional questions and provide us with additional information. These will be due in or about December.
The review of final proposals and site visits as well as outreach to groups that applicants identified as their key allies will happen in the first quarter of the year.
Funding decision will be made in early April.
- If you have questions about how to register or use the JustFund portal, please email email@example.com.
- For questions specific to the Arch Community Fund application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.